On July 30, 1973, Huntington’s Frederick Hotel closed its doors. Prominent Huntington architect James Stewart had designed the building, which was erected in 1905 and ’06 for $400,000. Supposedly, the furnishings alone cost $100,000.
In its day, the Frederick was touted as the most elegant hotel between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. In addition to its 125 sleeping rooms, it had 11 private dining rooms plus the Colonade Restaurant and the Elephant Walk Club. It also had its own power generators.