Sculptor Gladys Tuke was born in Pocahontas County on November 19, 1899. In the 1930s she took up residency at The Greenbrier resort’s Art Colony and became well known for her sculptures of horses. During World War Two, Tuke taught sculpture and pottery to soldiers who were recovering at The Greenbrier. She set up her own studio in White Sulphur Springs after the war. In 1956, Tuke reopened The Greenbrier’s Art Colony. The Art Colony’s tradition continues today as skilled artisans craft woodwork, clothing, jewelry, pottery, and other items on site.