Beckley Common Council has voted to approve demolition of several Neville Street buildings within the historic district.
The Register-Herald reports the council approved Tuesday night a property owners' request to demolish the four buildings.
Mayor Bill O'Brien cited a recent report from a local engineer saying the structures pose a threat to public health and are at risk of collapsing.
The council's approval of the demolition overturned the Historic Landmark Commission's decision last year to keep the buildings intact.
Historic Landmark Commissioner David Fuerst says no work can begin until the commission issues a certificate of appropriateness.
Fuerst says the engineer who issued the report was hired by the property owners, which is a conflict of interest, and called for a second opinion on the condition of the buildings.