Delegates Outline Status of Funding Formula for Higher Education
A long-sought funding formula for higher education will have to wait even longer. Host Suzanne Higgins speaks with two delegates – both members of Gov. Jim Justice’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Higher Education – who provide us with an update. We also bring you the latest legislative action from the statehouse.
Senior Statehouse Reporter Dave Mistich joins us for an update on the day’s events. Here are highlights from the interview:
- DEP rules bundle considered in the House of Delegates
- Motion in the Senate to discharge from committee HB 2730, teacher, service personnel, and state police pay raise
- Debate over amendments to the Budget Bill, SB 150/HB 2020
- Amendments were considered to SB 1, “last dollar in” community and technical college bill, in the House of Delegates
- “Randy’s Dream” – to fix the roads in West Virginia
Del. Paul Espinosa, R-Jefferson, and Del. Brent Boggs, D-Braxton, are both members of the governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Higher Evacuation.
In December 2018, this commission was to report a recommendation on a funding formula for the state's 4-year colleges and universities, and to also evaluate the scope and authority of the Higher Education Policy Commission.