Edible Mountain — How To Make Chanterelle Ice Cream
Time for that classic summer treat, ice cream flavored with ...mushrooms? Trust us, it’s delicious. Learn how to make Chanterelle Ice Cream with mushroom expert William Padilla-Brown.
Chanterelle mushrooms became a delicacy of French cuisine in the 18th century. They have a sweet, fruity aroma that makes them popular in cooking, and a wonderful complement to homemade ice cream. Be careful and use a field guide if you’re picking your own Chanterelles. They have a look-alike called Jack-o’-lantern that will make you sick.
Chanterelle Ice Cream Recipe From William Padilla-Brown
1 Quart of Milk
13.5 oz Full Fat Coconut Milk
2 to 3 oz of Maple Syrup
Vanilla Extract to taste
A ‘mess’ of Chanterelle mushrooms, rinsed
- Put milk in a pot on medium low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the Chanterelles and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla to the blender, and blend.
- Add the strained milk to the blender, along with a large spoonful of Chanterelles.
- Blend until smooth, then let cool.
- Add to your ice cream maker, or transfer to a pan and freeze.
- Garnish with more Chanterelles if you like, and enjoy!