LearningMedia Monthly Content Map
DECEMBER 2016: PBS LEARNINGMEDIA CONTENT MAP
Organized by Date or Content Theme check out these LearningMedia Resources for December.
- World Aids Day December 1, 2016 Teaching Guide | Exploring ACT UP and AIDS Crisis | 6-13+
Use this primary source set to help students understand the history of the AIDS crisis, and how organizations like ACT UP worked to combat the disease.
- Rosa Parks Day December 1, 2016 Video | Rosa Parks | 3-12
In honor of Rosa Parks Day, teach your class about the role of the civil rights activist in the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Includes background essay, discussion questions and student handout.
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day December 7, 2016 Video | Pearl Harbor | 6-12
In recognition of Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, use this lesson from Panhandle PBS to teach students about the Dec. 7, 1941 attack, as they consider the question: Could it have been prevented?
- Human Rights Day December 10, 2016 Lesson Plan | Universal Declaration of Human Rights | 7-12
In this lesson, students learn about important issues related to the struggle to protect human rights, as well as Eleanor Roosevelt's vital role in advocating human rights around the world.
- Bill of Rights Day December 15, 2016 Self-Paced Lesson | The Bill of Rights | 9-12
Use this writing project and interactive lesson from WGBH to spark critical thinking about the Bill of Rights and its impact on defining our rights today.
- Wright Brothers Day December 17, 2016 Collection | Boeing | 6-12
Today is Wright Brothers Day, commemorating the first successful powered airplane flight on Dec. 17, 1903. Offer students an in-depth exploration of the history of aviation, the mechanics of flight, and engineering design with this Boeing collection.
- Hanukkah December 24, 2016 Video | All About the Holidays: Hanukkah | 2-6
While Hanukkah is a Jewish celebration, the meaning behind the holiday is universal. Students learn the observance's history from PBS LearningMedia.
- Christmas December 25, 2016 Video | All About the Holidays: Christmas | 2-6
Teach students the origins of Christmas and how it's honored today with this PBS LearningMedia video + word search activity.
- Kwanzaa December 26, 2016 Video | All About the Holidays | Kwanzaa | 2-6
In this PBS LearningMedia "All About the Holidays" video, your class learns the meaning behind Kwanzaa, which is Dec. 26 to Jan. 1!
Remembering Pearl Harbor: 75th Anniversary December 1-7, 2016
- Video | Pearl Harbor | 6-12
Using this class discussion and writing project lesson from Panhandle PBS, students learn about the causes and events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- Video | The Attack on Pearl Harbor | 5-10
Go back in time to Dec. 7, 1941, when Pearl Harbor was attacked, with this segment of Iowa Public Television's "Iowa’s WWll Stories." Includes background essay + discussion questions to spark class discussion.
- FDR's Pearl Harbor Speech | 9-12
"Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy…" Supplement history lessons by sharing FDR's response to the attack on Pearl Harbor. (Via American Experience)
- WW2 - Crash Course World History | 9-13+
Why did the Axis powers think forceful expansion was a good idea? How did the Allies ultimately prevail? Students explore these questions and more in this Crash Course.
- Georgia World War II Oral History Project | 6-12
Offer students an insider perspective of WWII through the eyes of those who were touched by it with Georgia Public Broadcasting's World War II Veterans Oral History Project collection.
- Soldiers, Veterans, and War in American Life | 2-13+
From the War of 1812 and WWII to Iraq and Afghanistan, bring stories from the battlefront into the classroom with personal oral histories, archival footage, statistical data and more.
Computer Science Education Week December 5-11, 2016
- PBS KIDS Scratch Jr. | K-3
Download the PBS KIDS ScratchJr app and encourage students to explore computational and design thinking as they create their own interactive characters and scenes!
- Inspiring Girls to Code | 5-12
Inspire girls to learn to code while exposing them to opportunities in the STEM workforce!
- The Art of Creative Coding | 9-12
Expand your class's idea and knowledge of coding! Hear about a growing community of people who are using the medium of code to create anything from clothing to elaborate interactive installations.
The Secret Life of Engineers | 6-12
It's Computer Science Education Week! Show students the human side to science - along with career possibilities - with "The Secret Life of Scientists & Engineers" from NOVA!
Human Rights Day December 8-10, 2016
- Rights | 9-12
Explore with students the freedom of speech, the freedom of religion, the right to privacy, and the overall meaning of "rights" with this video series featuring constitutional experts. #HumanRightsDay
- Eleanor Roosevelt Lesson Plan | 3-7, 13+
Eleanor Roosevelt spent her life fighting for the rights of others. Explore how her work bettered the lives of people around the globe in this @PBS LrnMedia lesson plan.
- Human Rights | 9-12
Offer students an overview of human rights violations throughout history, from the Age of Exploration to the Holocaust, as well as the global response to the injustices.
- Non-Violence and Peace Movements | 9-13+
Teach students about non-violence, anti-war and peace movements in the 20th century, and what it means to the human rights movement with this Crash Course.
- The Cost of Human Rights | 9-12
In recognition of Human Rights Day, share with students the story of one woman from Cauca, Columbia, who traveled to Washington, D.C. to help combat human rights violations in her country. Video from Thirteen WNET New York's "Women, War & Peace."
Holidays December 11-31, 2016
- Video | The Perfect Christmas Gift (According to Science) | 6-12
Wondering what to wrap up and put under the Christmas tree this year? Let SCIENCE answer your gift-giving quandaries.
- Video | Peg + Kat: 8 Days of Hanukkah | Pre-K - K
Teach kids about Hanukkah and the number 8 in this Peg + Cat video!
- Word Search | Kwanzaa | 2-6
Boost vocab knowledge and teach kids some of the key words associated with Kwanzaa with this word search activity!
- Website/ Video | Say Brother: Celebrating Kwanzaa | 6-12
Kwanzaa starts December 26! Explore the meaning of different aspects of the week-long celebration with your class. Video from WGBH Education.
- Video | Peg + Cat: Peg and Cat Save Christmas | PreK - 2
Spread a little holiday cheer while helping your young learners develop a love of math with Peg + Cat! Video |
- PBS Idea Channel | Yule Tube! | 9-12
How did the yule log become a holiday tradition? Explore its origins as a pagan ritual to its evolution as a symbol of home and family.
- Video | PBS Idea Channel | What do Santa and Wrestling have in common | 9-12
Is our relationship with Santa similar to wrestling? Even though we know Kris Kringle isn't real, why do we still cultivate our culture's love of him?
- Video | Wilson & Ditch: We Love the Holidays | 1-4
Invite students to join the two gopher brothers, Wilson & Ditch, in learning about the traditions of Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa! http://to.pbs.org/2fBjZCQ
- Collection | Daniel Tiger + Holidays | PreK-1
Use this holiday-themed series of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood videos to help kids develop a love of learning along with their social skills!
- Video | The 12 Days of Fitness | K-5
Get your kids moving and excited about the holiday season with the 12 days of fitness!
- Video | Is Santa Real? A Scientific Analysis | 6-12
Explore the science behind some of Christmas's most popular traditions with PBS Digital Studio's "It's Okay To Be Smart."