© 2021 West Virginia Public Broadcasting
Telling West Virginia's Story
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
About Us

Ten Friends Board Positions Open

Friends of West Virginia Public Broadcasting helped organize Let's Talk events like this one in Beckley in September 2013.

Nominations open March 8-27, 2014

The Board of Directors of The Friends of West Virginia Public Broadcasting is vital to strengthening local support for the organization’s mission. They are ambassadors in their community, leveraging their influence on behalf of public broadcasting. 

You may wonder exactly what a Friends Director does.  First, the board has fiduciary responsibility for individual annual contributions designated for West Virginia Public Broadcasting.  Management sets the annual budget for 90% of these funds and presents this information to the Board.  The remaining 10% is spent at the discretion of the Friends Board.  Policy and governance for West Virginia Public Broadcasting, on the other hand, is established by the Educational Broadcasting Authority, which holds the licenses for all the West Virginia Public Broadcasting’s radio and television stations. 

Directors attend quarterly board meetings and serve on committees that foster relationships with listeners, viewers and website users throughout the state. An example of this is the successful round of “Let’s Talk” events conducted in 2013 introducing the new executive director in 12 locations. Friends and Friends Directors provided various levels of support for these events -- from obtaining the location, publicizing the event, and assisting in greeting participants. One Director even donned a walkabout character costume for the delight of the children in attendance.

We are looking for Directors to fill expiring terms in eight locations: Beckley (1), Buckhannon (1), Charleston (2), Huntington (1), Martinsburg (1), Morgantown (2), Parkersburg (1), and Wheeling (1).  If you are interested, or know someone who is interested, please use our online nomination form and submit it by 11:59 p.m. March 27.

You may also print the nomination form, fill it out, and mail it to: Marilyn DiVita, Director of Development, West Virginia Public Broadcasting, Charleston, WV, 25301.

If you have questions about the Friends of West Virginia Public Broadcasting contact Marilyn DiVita at 304-556-4906 or 888-596-9729.

WVPB is local news, education, music, and entertainment for West Virginia.
Your donation today will help keep us strong and vital.