We bring you another Friday Reporter Roundtable. Host Suzanne Higgins is joined by statehouse reporters to recap the week and look ahead to the next. We explore the massive education reform bill, the debate over legalizing cannabis in West Virginia, child welfare needs, and the latest on legislation related to an Intermediate Court of Appeals.
Another large group of teenagers visited lawmakers Friday as part of the Tobacco 21 Movement. Six states and hundreds of communities have raised the age of tobacco sales from 18 to 21. Reporter Randy Yohe brings us this story.
Statehouse Reporters Brad McElhinny of WV MetroNews and Jake Zuckerman of the Charleston Gazette-Mail join us on our show to discuss the latest happenings at the statehouse. Here are highlights from the interview:
- Latest on the Education Reform Bill
- Potential of Charter Schools in West Virginia
- Expungement legislation
- Issues regarding SNAP benefits
- Foster care reform – transition to a managed care model
- Tobacco and obesity issues
- Legislation on establishing an Intermediate Court of Appeals
- Comments on the federal government shutdown